0333 6000 060 My Account Valuations

 

Buying a house can be a huge step in your life and one of the most important financial decisions that you will ever make. Luckily, there are plenty of government house buying schemes available, whether you’re a first time buyer or not. Read our blog post below to find out more.

 

Equity Loan Scheme

With a Help To Buy Equity Loan the Government lends you 20% of the cost of a new build home, meaning that you only need a 5% cash deposit and a 75% mortgage to make up the rest of the purchase price. So for example, on a £200,000 property you’d need a minimum deposit of £10,000. The government would put forward an equity loan of £40,000 and you could have a mortgage on the remaining £150,000. 

For the first five years of owning your property you will not be charged loan fees for the 20%. In the 6th year, the ‘loan fee’ interest kicks in at 1.75%, this increases every year at the RPI’s (retail prices index) measure of inflation, plus 1%. In theory, with this loan the interest rates will actually be lower as you’re borrowing 75% from the lender, rather than 95%. However, this isn’t always the case so make sure that you compare mortgage deals by enlisting the help of an expert. 

When you sell the property, or at the end of the 25 year mortgage term, the government will take back its 20% share, whether that’s at a profit or a loss. 

 

Shared Ownership

The Shared Ownership scheme consists of buying a share of a home from the landlord, who tends to be the council or housing association, and then rent the portion that you do not own. You’ll need to have a mortgage on the part of the property that you own, which can be between 25% and 75%, and you can then pay a reduced rent on the rest. Later on, you can choose to buy a bigger share of the property, up to 100%. 

You can buy a home through this scheme if you have a household income of less than £80,000 per year outside of London, or £90,000 inside of London. You are also eligible if you are a first time buyer, you used to own a home but can’t afford to buy another one, or you currently have a shared ownership property but are looking to move. 

 

Right To Buy/Right to Acquire

This scheme is for tenants in the United Kingdom who rent their home from their local council. It allows those who qualify to buy their home at a discount, the size of which depends on where you live and the type of property. To qualify for this, tenants must have rented from the public sector for at least three years. They do not have to be consecutive years so you could still qualify for this scheme if you have privately rented in between. 

 

Starter Home Scheme

The Starter Home Scheme is a new government scheme that is available to first time buyers. It means that 200,000 new build homes are available to those under 40 years old that are looking to buy their first property, with a 20% discount on the sale price. 

The discounted price for homes under this scheme should be no more than £250,000 outside of London, and £450,000 in London. 

 

Older People

If you’re aged 55 or over, you can get help from a house buying scheme called ‘Older People’s Shared Ownership’. It works the same way as the usual Shared Ownership scheme, but you can only buy up to 75% of the property. However, once you own 75% you will no longer be required to pay any rent on the remaining 25%. 

 

If there is anything that you are unsure of, or for more information on buying a house, contact Chancellors for help.